Published annually, the QS Best Student Cities ranking showcases the best urban destinations for international students, based on a diverse range of indicators grouped into a selection of categories. Montréal has been ranked as the top student city in Canada — for the sixth year in a row!
Let’s break it down
Using their fine-tuned methodology to determine what elements of city living are most important for students, QS looks at key factors like affordability, desirability, employer activity, and, above all else, the true student view of the city in which they study. We take our role as an international city of knowledge seriously, with four major universities – McGill (ranked as the 31st best university in the world), UQAM, Concordia, and Université de Montréal – and a vibrant, exciting student culture that plays an important part in the city’s social fabric. The city’s campuses are part of our bustling centre, and not off in another district and the rates of student satisfaction and desire to remain in Montréal after graduation are two of the highest in the world.
High praise for Montréal
Among the main factors behind Montréal’s high score, according to QS:
- Montréal scores 88/100 for the quality of its universities, based on the most recent edition of the QS World University Rankings. Montréal is home to three universities in the University Rankings—including McGill, which cinched the top spot in Canada in the most recent QS World University rankings.
- Montréal is the national leader in QS’ Student Mix metric. It scores 94.2 in this indicator – the sixth-highest score in the world. Student Mix assesses the diversity and scale of a city’s student body.
- Montréal receives high praise from students who have studied there, enjoying a Student Voice score of 93.7/100, which places it 9th in the world.
Ben Sowter, QS Senior Vice President, noted Canada is home to one of the most diverse student populations in the world, and is one of the most sought-after destinations in which to live and study for international students. “Nowhere exemplifies this more than the eclectic, vibrant and academically outstanding city of Montréal,” Sowter said.
Top of the class
Montréal’s unbeatable je ne sais quoi, diversity, culture and quality of life all contribute to making sure every student’s experience in the city is unforgettable. Here are a few other areas in which Montréal stays at the top of the class:
- Montréal is a world leading hub a variety of industries, including pharmaceuticals, video game production, and sustainable transport.
- Tuition fees in Montréal are the lowest in North America.
- Montréal has been named the most reputable city in the Americas, and based on a list of 20 major cities in Canada and USA, Montréal comes in first place as the safest city.
- Full of innovators and world changers, Montréal is a hotspot of startups and creativity marking the city as the place to be both before and after graduation.
Finally, the Greater Montréal international student portal (I Choose Montréal) links prospective students to everything they’d need to study in the city, including information on programs, accommodations, and even immigration assistance.
Read this next: Montréal ranks as THE safest city for travel