Small footprint, big business: Montreal’s clean energy sector
In Montréal, clean energy is big business. The local power company, Hydro-Québec, is the fourth largest hydropower producer on the planet. That status translates to thousands of jobs in hydroelectricity, opportunities for energy-related businesses, and plenty of local champions to connect with on the ground.
CANADA’S GREEN PROVINCE
In the province of Quebec, close to 97% of the total electricity produced each year comes from renewable sources. The gross majority of this pool of electricity comes from hydropower, but also included in the mix is wind, solar and biomass sources. A notable 60% of Quebéc’s clean energy sector jobs are located right here in Montréal.
Directly related to the energy sector, Québec has a strong transportation industry, with over 31,000 direct and indirect jobs in 650 businesses. World class companies include Bombardier Transportation, Paccar, Bombardier Recreational Products, Nova Bus et Prévost. The provincial government has a detailed electric transport agenda.
In the past week alone, a Montréal-based green investment company raised $2 million and the Federation Internationale de l’Automobile gave Montréal the 2017 Smart Cities award in recognition of the city’s efforts in green transportation. There’s no end in sight to our participation in global green technology.
THE LOCAL CLEAN ENERGY BIGWIGS
Sure, Montréal has over 100 environment-related programs are offered at the undergraduate, master’s and doctoral levels in eight of Montréal’s post-secondary institution. But we’re more than an educational hotspot. We are also home to leading research centres, such as Institut de recherche d’Hydro-Québec and Institut du véhicule innovant, which help position Montréal as world-class research and innovation capital.
Research Centres in the Province include:
- PMG Technologies
- Performance Innovation Transport (an FPInnovations Group)
- The Hydrogen Research Institute
Furthermore, a selection of international environmental organizations calls Montréal home.
- Finance Alliance for Sustainable Trade (FAST)
- Commission for Environmental Cooperation (CEC) of North America
- Multilateral Fund for the Implementation of the Montréal Protocol
- Global Sustainable Electricity Partnership
- The Secretariat of the Convention on Biological Diversity (SCBD)
The International Secretariat for Water (ISW)
COME JOIN US
In the context of North America, Montréal presents a unique offering. While located in North America, the French-influenced metropolis has a classic European sensibility. We’re renown for our creative flair and we are a tech-centred city. Markedly, we were named “Intelligent Community of the Year” in 2016.
5 reasons to bring a clean energy-related meeting to Montréal
- The lowest operating costs in the cleantech industry among North America’s 20 biggest cities.
- A strategic geographic location in North America with direct access to the NAFTA market, and quick flights to many American cities.
- A deep pool of multilingual, highly-qualified industry leaders in the clean energy sector.
- Montréal is the number one destination in North America for hosting international conventions. According to the ranking by the International Congress and Convention Association (ICCA), Montréal ranks ahead of other major destinations — such as Toronto, New York and Chicago.
- Your meeting’s environmental impact is reduced by choosing a green destination!
EVENTS: FUTURE AND PAST
Here’s a quick glance at just a few of the environmental-related events that have taken place in Montréal.
ITS World Congress 2017
29 October – 2 November 2017
21-23 March 2017
Colloque géomatique (from the Canadian Institute of Geomatics)
19 – 20 October 2016
Global Social Economy Forum
07 – 09 September 2016
International Symposium on Microbial Ecology
21-26 August 2016
Smart City Expo World Congress
25 – 27 March 2015