We’re not one to brag, but this past year we’ve had to clear off some space on the old mantelpiece for some high-profile awards including the ICCA’s top city in North America for international association meetings, the #1 city in North America for students (3rd internationally!) and the top prize in the UIA’s leading event city in the Americas 2018 rankings. And now – drumroll please – Montréal has been named the Most Reputable City in the Americas by the Reputation Institute’s annual City RepTrak list, and we couldn’t be more proud.
Beauty, safety and leadership
The Reputation Institute’s rankings take into account several aspects of a city’s function, including economic, aesthetic and quality of life-related factors. The group also looks at how safe people feel, how respected the city leaders are and how effective local government is in keeping things running smoothly. The 12,000 participants of the survey are asked to grade cities based both on an “emotional score” (how they feel about it) and a “rational score” (how they think about it).
Montréal excelled this year in areas of safety, governance and culture – with the city’s beautiful areas and attractions holding an emotional attachment for respondents. And who are we to argue? With vistas like Mount Royal looking over the heart of the city and the cobblestone streets of Old Montréal close at hand, a vibrant cultural scene whose international reputation grows with each year and a forward-thinking mayoral office hard at work, we’re pleased as punch to see these efforts noticed on the world stage.
You’ll have to excuse us, but there are a few things we’d like to brag about after all
- Montréal is a world leader in life sciences and medical research, with internationally recognized achievements in areas like neuroscience, cardiology, oncology and cancer research to call our own.
- The city’s vibrant economic sector has seen the city grow into a world financial capital on the rise – and local areas of expertise like architecture, sports, an exciting startup scene, and a thriving aerospace sector are flying sky high.
- Home to over 185,000 students, Montréal is also a leading city of knowledge – and the students love it here!
- Cities also get ahead on the RepTrak based on their environmental efforts, and Montréal’s clean energy sector is making big waves – albeit with a small footprint.
- With an eye square on the future, Montréal’s local accomplishments in the research and development of Artificial Intelligence are also breaking boundaries and setting trends.
- Montréal’s cultural sectors have long held an international cool cache, the envy of other cities. Check out a few of the city’s breakout indie music stars and our up-and-coming fashion scene.
Read this next: Montréal is the top sports city for 2018